Thursday, December 21, 2006

I Just Want a PHONE.....

Ok.....I've officially had it!

I've had it with ringtones and cameras and MP3 players and a thousand other things that just shouldn't be in my damned phone!

I just want a phone! Instead of wasting memory with MP3s on a device that sounds more tinny than a transistor radio, how about we devote that memory to the ability to record phone calls? WOW! The ability to actually record the list of things my boss is reading off to me while I drive instead of juggling driving, the cell phone and writing. What a novel concept!

I want tons of memory devoted to managing phone calls. Screw ringtones. After you hear it a couple of times it becomes annoying. Instead of ringtones, let's devote more of that memory to actually logging more than just the past 10 calls.

Oh!!! And, can we please have a PC interface that we can use to backup our phonelist or voice notes (via bluetooth would be nice). Why the hell these hybrid phones STILL can't talk to my PC I can't even begin to imagine - my iPod manages it just fine.

Toss taking pictures and movies too. They really suck for the most part. The only people that may like playing with such miserable image quality would be kids and teens that don't know any better. So, give them the worthless features and get that picture crap off my business phone. It eats up memory and space for features you should be giving me.

Games? Please people... Just give me a phone dedicated to making, logging and recording calls. Who EVER plays those cheezy games anyway? I have personally NEVER seen anyone playing a game on a phone.

My idea of the perfect phone is one that has TONS of memory dedicated to the following features.....

1) EXCELLENT call quality. Make it sound like we're sitting side by side simply having a conversation. Spare no expense on the MIC and speakers - especially the speakerphone quality. I wnat Bose to be jealous of my phone's sound quality.

2) The ability to record every conversation by having the phone ask me if I want to save the conversation I just ended - to which I could simply reply "yes" or "no". And, yes, 2 recordings should be made if I take another call and place the first ome on hold - WITHOUT losing the recording of the first call - an option to pause or continue the first recording would be nice.

3) I should also be able to make voice notes about the call that I just finished - with the ability to download the voice notes to my PC.

4) Let me decide how many calls I keep in my calls made and calls recieved logs (by number or max memory use). Ten just doesn't cut it.

5) ALL phone functions should work via voice commands that I can program. This would save time and lives when you absolutely MUST make a call while driving. (Yes, I know you shouldn't - but let's deal with reality here.)

6) Help me deal with those damnable menus that companies that hate their customers put up to block us from getting to an actual human being. When it says "Press 7 to continue" I should be able to "press 7" with a voice command that the phone understands. Hands free, total voice control of the phone - almost like a personal telephone assistant.

7) When I get a call from (or make a call to) a number that is not in my list of contacts, ask me if I want to save it. Then let me choose a VOICE command to dial the number as well as letting me type in the name using my voice.

8) You can keep the voice recorder function as it can help me make notes about the phone call that I just made or recieved. Just make it accessible via voice commands.

9) If I get a text message, read it to me! I should be able to check text messages via voice commands too.

We should be able to use our phones completely hands free!

With all of this functionality that COULD be in my phone, just who the hell asked for a low quality camera or an MP3 player or those cheezy, moronic games anyway?

GIVE ME A PHONE DEDICATED TO MAKING, RECEIVING, LOGGING AND MANAGING PHONE CALLS!

Keep the rest of that crap in your MP3 player.

Do you feel the same? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your frustration with the silly features todays cell phones are full of. I could care less about ring tones. A couple of rings and vibrate is great. My phone never leaves vibrate mode.

For me text messaging is a basic feature that should be a priority of a cell phone because I so often find myself in public places where I would rather quietly type a quick message rather than talk out loud on the phone. But try finding a low end phone with a qwerty keypad. I don't want to pay for a Sidekick, Q, or a Treo and the associated data plan, just so I can get a simple qwerty keypad so I can more easily fire off quick text messages.

Anonymous said...

did you narrow down your choices?

I'm also in the market looking for a phone which does the aforementioned stuff!

Please update your blog if you find any!

Anonymous said...

Count me frustrated too. Sadly, WE are not the market that is influencing cellular carriers these days. I want a family service plan that fits me (mature adult techie), my spouse (mature adult budget-minded techie ;-)) and my elderly mother (loves staying in touch with her friends but needs SIMPLE). There is a Firefly phone that would be great for Mom, but my husband has fallen in love with push-to-talk. I'm looking mostly for phones with voice-dial because I think those would obviate many of the navigation problems. But voice-dial costs extra, and you can't find phones with push-to-talk many times. I already have a nice mp3 player, don't want a phone with one. I had an old Treo (really old - one of the first Treos) and loved that but the Treos are trying to be all things to all people, now. I realize that my particular family is very diverse, but we shouldn't HAVE to take pictures with our phones in order to find cell phones useful!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I also have been looking for a phone, just a phone. I just want a small nice phone with excellent reception. I don't care about a camera, video, mp3, or any of the other features on the new smart phones. I guess I am looking for a stupid phone. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am with ATT right now.

justjoycee said...

I agree, have been looking on at&t site for an hour and can't find one, Please Help!!!